Wednesday, August 12, 2009

conference or committee.

Lukas
One night when several of his packmates are clustered in the commons, Lukas comes up the stairs with his mail in hand. He tosses the stack of bills and credit card offers, plus one copy of BMW's owner club newsletter, on the coffee table.

He tosses himself down on the couch.

"So; Wahya. Yes/no, in/out?"

Katherine
Katherine was reclining on a sofa with a rolled up magazine in one hand; circling items she had in mind for purchase. So far she had settled on a studded leather jacket in beige and a very appealing pair of boots she thought most attractive for her younger sister. Her Alpha's query did not lift her eyes from the page, she held her pen poised, attentive to the next item to circle.

Did she want the Uktena?

"Have we not already voted on this or was that the other one," she lowered her magazine, adding wryly, "I do lose track." The Silver Fang stretched herself out, well aware of her own appeal as she did so, the woman as all pale beauty and long, sleek lines.

At Lukas' expression, she sighed. "Very well, very well. Wahya, he's useful as is any Garou who can heal in a battle but does he want to pack with us, is what I ask. He seems undecided one way or another. "

Sampson
"No." Sampson pops up from behind the sofa; what he had been doing there is anyone's guess and they might all be wrong.
Worse, they might ALL be right!

"Out. From his words at the moot! He expects Talons of Horus and perhaps us to verify his honor. His renown must speak for himself! I will not babysit a packmate to confidence. We have sammade excusessam for peopleplenty others too in the past!

If he wishes in to fly with us! He must carry his own honor, for it is his burden and responsibility, and not expect it as a gift from us!
I do not wish to hear Wayne's World Unworthy Whining from our potential packmates!
This is my sole objection!"

Looking over his packmates, he ponders what gift to use on the next one of them. He's got that look.
Mischief...

Lukas
"I don't think he quite meant for us to vet his honor," Lukas replies, wry. "As far as I can tell, Wahya feels his honor is unworthy of -- or perhaps merely unsuited to -- our totem. Which I think answers Katherine's point as well: I don't know that he wants to join us. I think he thinks he's either not good enough or simply not cut out for the Talons.

"I can't tell which it is. And that does make a difference. I think his honor is more than sufficient for the Talons, which invalidates the first concern. But if this is his way of letting us know he doesn't think he fits with us, then..." Lukas ends on a shrug.

Then, offhand, "Where's Marcus?"

Marcus
"I am here." Marcus says casually leaning up against a wall that is back and away from his pack. "I wished to hear the others' thoughts before I spoke."

He makes his way over to the couch, and squats down across from Lukas on the other side of the coffee table. "I do not think it is a question as to whether Wahya Many Tongues ~yuf is worthy to join, but there are concerns which I think you will have to consider Wyrmbreaker ~yuf should he be included among our ranks.

The first thing I must ask though is what is your motivation for inviting him to join our pack? I know you have spoken of Many Tongues healing you in battle, and I was there to witness this, but is it simply repaying a debt of honor you feel to him or do you wish to have another Crescent moon among our ranks to bolster our connection to the spirits?"

Lukas
Lukas laughs quietly, almost a scoff.

"Marcus, I assure you, I wouldn't use the pack to repay personal debts of honor. No; I wanted Wahya because he's a clever wolf, honorable, useful in a pinch and -- most importantly -- more concerned about the welfare of the group than his own personal glory.

"He fit the pack. Or so I thought."

A pause, the Shadow Lord drumming fingers against his thigh. Then:

"Marcus, you've had a chance to speak with him in depth already. You spoke well of him then. Sampson and Katherine, I want the two of you to seek Wahya Many-Tongues out; separately if possible. Try to get past his ... his Uktenaness. Get a feel for whether he's genuinely uncertain of his own honor, or if he's trying to let us down easy. And come back to me with a firm recommendation, in or out."

Marcus
Marcus says to Lukas. "It's not that I am questioning your motives. I know you are an honorable Garou, and I believe that Wahya Many Tongue is an honorable Garou.

But we cannot overlook the fact he is Lupus. And that does not make him lesser. He stood up at the moot and took responsibility for a kinfolk that was not his own. That shows strength of character, but his understanding of honorable behavior may not be the same as you or I see it. You might find yourself frustrated at times, even angry because the differences in how you view the world and he does may clash. I would caution you to remember the example of Adam Swift Arrow and not repeat any possible mistakes he did in dealing with Wahya Many Tongues.

However he does have strong medicine and the spirits respect him. I think any differences we have with him culturally can be overcome with conversation. My counsel is that he be welcomed into our pack if still wishes to be among us as long as we are aware that he is a Lupus and not Homid, and are prepared to deal with him as such."

Sampson
"I am mindful of his lupus self; I would consider it a bonus. However. I have already spoken."
Sampson stands slowly, unfurls his long limbs with all their corners, and offers to his alpha a scowling sort of smirk.

"Then! As you say, Lukas my alpha! I shall meet with Wayha and discover which of his wimpy unacceptable reasons he does not come willingly to us!
And then return to you and offer you yet another firm recommendation!

Since No! and Out! are too gentle of terms for you!"

Fuckn ragabashes. Always on yer case!

Lukas
"I'll have to agree with Sampson on that," Lukas says to Marcus. "His lupus mind might add ... cultural barriers, as you put it, but I consider it an asset.

Sampson goes on; Lukas's mouth tilts sardonically.

"Sampson, your 'no' and 'out' were not too subtle for my Ahroun ears. But I suspect my words were too subtle for yours. Let me put it this way.

"Last time we discussed Wahya -- and this was about a month ago, by my count -- I told the pack to make it a priority to speak to Wahya. Since then, as far as I can tell, not only has no one bothered to hold a conversation with the lupus, none of you have even spoken to him.

"None of you know him well enough to judge him as I had hoped. Katherine and Marcus at least prove themselves willing to debate and to advise. You, on the other hand, have completely written Wahya out on account of some two or three lines he said at the moot. You, who last time were all but jumping to his defense.

"You don't know enough about him to rule him in or out. That's why I'm sending you back to him again. And I don't like giving the same order twice."

Marcus
Marcus shrugs. "I have fought in battle with him twice now. I have spoken to him with Boy concerning his locating a lost kinfolk named Stella. I witnessed his actions at the moot. I do not think another conversation will cause me to alter what I've told to you here today Wyrmbreaker ~yuf.

You are the Alpha of the Unbroken Circle ultimately it is your decision if you wish him to join, but there is not much more I can add to what I have already said here tonight. He is an honorable Garou, he is a Lupus, he is a Theurge with strong medicine.

I do know he was staying with the Bone Gnawer Kinfolk named Maija. I can speak about Wahya Many Tongues with her when I see her in a few days.

However unless he has done something highly dishonorable since the moot more then likely my opinion of him will not change." *He says plainly to Lukas.*

Katherine
Katherine stirs. "Tsh, Marcus. We are not just followers, we are united as the Unbroken Circle, our namesake means that it is never simply down to the Alpha to make a judgment, we must all be in agreement or else we are unfaithful to our own bonds as pack-mates, is this not so?"

Turning her pale eyes on Lukas, the Philodox seems to ruminate on his directions for her. "I will try to know him better, Lukas, perhaps we will hunt together."

Sampson
Never simply down to the Alpha to make a decision...
Sampson waits.

Lukas lets her words passsssss.....

"Katherine you have said several bizarre things in this time that I have known you! This though, Of all the paths your tongue could take! It stumbles on reality!

Lukas! My packbratha! I must I think show you! I must remind you what it means to be alpha!

And SO! I challenge you, Lukas! for Alpha of the Unbroken Circle! I must point out! This is NOT a democratic challenge by conference OR committee!"

[Wyrmbreaker] (inits +8 -- no totem benefit)
Dice Rolled:[ 1 d10 ] 7 (Success x 1 at target 6)

[Sampson Rolling] (INITS IIIIIMA GONNA GIT YOU!! +9)
Dice Rolled:[ 1 d10 ] 7

[Wyrmbreaker] (1 gn - talen activation. three split actions.
1a. bite
b. bite
c. bite)

[Sampson Rolling] 1. Split action, from behind high speed. BIIIITE!!
2. Split action: from behind preferred if he doesnt have to lose an action to get there. second choice: flank. Agfain, if he doesnt have to move to get there. BITE

3. Rage: if he's not turning by now i will be shocked. prefer behind, or flanking second option but FUCK WHATEVER HE CAN REACH! BITE!
(will pull instead of kill, will NOT try to kill Lukas or remove any parts of him except some I-can-regen-that- flesh and blood.)

[Wyrmbreaker] (redeclare, single action

1a. use trapdoor boon talen with the 1 gnosis activation.)

[Sampson Rolling] Sampson ZOOOMS in all SILENTLY And shit and TOTALLY HIDDEn but not really-- but his approach is such velocity that Lukas still can't quite avoid at least one of the attacks
Goddamn if his aggressive body language isn't also utterly gleeful.
(ATTAAAACK!! Dex 4+ hispo 2+ brawl 2-2 split action diff 5bite -2 from behind)
Dice Rolled:[ 6 d10 ] 1, 4, 7, 8, 8, 9 (Success x 4 at target 3)

[Sampson Rolling] (damage 3 str + 3 hispo + 1 bite + 3 successes)
Dice Rolled:[ 10 d10 ] 1, 1, 2, 2, 4, 5, 5, 6, 9, 9 (Success x 1 at target 6)

[Sampson Rolling] (Split 2!! No behind attack, dex 4 hispo 2, brawl 2, -3 second split action, diff 5)
Dice Rolled:[ 5 d10 ] 2, 5, 7, 8, 10 (Success x 4 at target 5)

[Sampson Rolling] (damage 3 str + 3 hispo + 1 bite + 3 successes HAIL KAHSEENO!!!)
Dice Rolled:[ 10 d10 ] 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 9, 10, 10 (Success x 1 at target 6)

[Wyrmbreaker]
Dice Rolled:[ 6 d10 ] 2, 5, 6, 6, 9, 10 (Success x 4 at target 6)

[Wyrmbreaker]
Dice Rolled:[ 6 d10 ] 1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 10 (Success x 2 at target 6)

[Wyrmbreaker] Sampson, with his ungodly speed, manages to connect twice with Wyrmbreaker. His aim is absolute, perfect. His teeth are ... ineffectual.

And then Wyrmbreaker is gone. As good as vanished into thin air.

[Sampson Rolling] Hey! You aren't supposed to disappear! That's my job!
Sampson laughs, at everything, at himself, through the totemphone.
moving a little away from the ground that sucked Lukas in, Sampson stands ready, his ears perked for whereever the attack might come from!
Cause maybe... that werewolf in the ground is digging to someplace else!

[Wyrmbreaker] There's radio silence on Lukas's end.

Challenges are Very Serious Business (tm).

[Sampson Rolling] If they had been in the Challenge Circle, Sampson might have requested that he be declared the winner as Lukas had vacated the fight. However, the challenge ground here is The Caern.
And so technically, Lukas is still in the grounds. Neither has ceded. Neither has won.
Ad so he waits, alert as he was...
as long as it takes.

[Sampson Rolling] (wits + alertness! COUNTERROLL YOU SNEAKY ASS AHROUN!!)
Dice Rolled:[ 6 d10 ] 3, 5, 5, 8, 8, 10 (Success x 3 at target 6)

[Wyrmbreaker] (1 rage/hispo.
dex+stealth for ambush!)
Dice Rolled:[ 8 d10 ] 1, 1, 3, 6, 7, 7, 7, 7, 10 (Success x 4 at target 6) Re-rolls: 1

[Wyrmbreaker] (single free attack: a bite!
dex+brawl vs diff 5)
Dice Rolled:[ 9 d10 ] 2, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8 (Success x 8 at target 5)

[Wyrmbreaker] (damage is str+3(hispo)+1(ambush)+7(succ) = 15.

I AM ROLLING IN TWO ROLLS BECAUSE I'M SUPERSTITIOUS.)
Dice Rolled:[ 8 d10 ] 1, 2, 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10 (Success x 3 at target 6)

[Wyrmbreaker]
Dice Rolled:[ 7 d10 ] 1, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 9 (Success x 3 at target 6)

[Sampson Rolling] (SOOOK!! 3+3+2)
Dice Rolled:[ 8 d10 ] 1, 1, 3, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9 (Failure at target 6)

[Wyrmbreaker] (+9 now -- hispo)
Dice Rolled:[ 1 d10 ] 4 (Failure at target 6)

[Sampson Rolling] (init 9-5=+4
Dice Rolled:[ 1 d10 ] 3

[Sampson Rolling] samspon:
FUCKIN
1. FULLL attack. BITE
if there is a chance of a rage round (he only had 1 point) then
2. rage: BITE

[Wyrmbreaker] (3 split bites, WP on the last, pulling if necessary (of course)

First one, -3 dice)
Dice Rolled:[ 6 d10 ] 1, 2, 2, 6, 8, 9, 10 (Success x 3 at target 5) Re-rolls: 1

[Wyrmbreaker] (damage, str+3(hispo)+2(bite)+2(attack))
Dice Rolled:[ 11 d10 ] 1, 2, 2, 5, 5, 6, 6, 8, 9, 9, 10 (Success x 5 at target 6)

[Sampson Rolling] (SOAK OH GOD Hes GOT SHARP ASS TEEETH3+3+2)
Dice Rolled:[ 8 d10 ] 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 9, 9, 10 (Success x 6 at target 6)

[Wyrmbreaker] (second, -4!)
Dice Rolled:[ 5 d10 ] 1, 2, 4, 7, 7, 10, 10, 10 (Success x 4 at target 5) Re-rolls: 3

[Wyrmbreaker] (damage, same as before, only +3 from attack)
Dice Rolled:[ 12 d10 ] 1, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 7, 7, 7, 8, 8, 10 (Success x 9 at target 6)

[Sampson Rolling] (SOAK OH GOD Hels STILL GOT SHARP ASS TEEETH3+3+2)
Dice Rolled:[ 8 d10 ] 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 4, 6, 8 (Success x 1 at target 6)

[Sampson Rolling] Enough.
Sampson is thrown backwards in a savage flurry of teeth and blood and saliva and while he cannot speak clearly in this form, there are other ways to communicate.
His head falls backwards to expose hsi throat to the victor, tail lowering in submission as conciousness leaves him.

Lukas is alpha.

[Wyrmbreaker] It was a long, oblique lead-up and a brutally quick finish.

A shower of dirt and three snaps later, the challenge is over. Wyrmbreaker steps back. His hackles are up, but it's pure adrenaline. His rage isn't sizzling on the air. His eyes are cool, even thoughtful, as he returns to his birth form and stands.

"My spirit is spent," he says to his observing packmates, handing them one of Katerina's healing gourds from his talen pouch. "Will one of you do the honors?"

And when Sampson recovers --

"Your point is taken, Skinny-Legs, but hear me out. The decision is mine in the end. Even so, I won't bring in a packmate that none of you even know, or have had time to acquaint yourselves with.

"Whether or not Wahya Many Tongues stands as our brother is ultimately between the Talons of Horus and myself. But I would still appreciate your advice, and your counsel. That goes for you all."
 
Copyright Lukáš Wyrmbreaker 2010.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .