Tuesday, July 28, 2009

matters of tribe and kin.

[a relevant address to the garou at the moot]
When the present discussion is finished, Wyrmbreaker takes the bone.

"All of Thunder's remain Thunder's. I am accountable for them, and all who deal with them are accountable to me." For a moment he seems to be merely reasserting the same claim laid at the previous moot. Then, "There's been some confusion over this. I'll clarify.

"As Alpha of the Tribe, I stand for my Tribe as I stand for my pack.

"Presently, Thunder has no tribal territories, no exclusive rights, and no immediate prospect of such. If that changes, you'll hear it from me.

"In the matter of kin, I stand as guardian to those of Thunder without an preexisting or overriding claim. Currently, all of Thunder's blood in this city are under my claim.

"I am to be informed when one of my kin enters or leaves the city. I am to be informed of all major events and changes involving my kin: if they are endangered, if they are courted, if their services are requested, and so forth. All challenges of claim or grievance regarding my kin must go through me. All rights of discipline are mine alone. I will hold those who harm my kin directly accountable.

"It's not my intention to keep the kin of my tribe jealously to myself. I don't intend to spend my time shepherding my kin. I won't deny requests frivolously, arbitrarily, or out of spite. I won't deny my kin the right to mate as they wish. But it is my duty to guard their safety and wellbeing, and I do not easily shirk my duties.

"In the matter of my trueborn tribemates, I stand as Alpha for those without a true Alpha. The packless Garou of Thunder are welcome to bring their concerns before me. If one of my packless brethren should fail in some way, I ask that the complaint be first brought to me, under the mediation of a neutral Philodox if necessary, and appealed to the Sept only if we are unable to reach an agreement.

"Those who wrong my tribemates will likewise find themselves answering to me.

"I require that all my claims be respected. In return, I will respect the claims of other tribes, and I will hold my tribemates to the same standard."

--

[Lukas, to all kin]
The messages arrive with Caleb's help through spiritual means, targeted to those whose blood speak of Thunder or those Lukas personally knows of.

They appear as if by magic in the fog of bathroom mirrors; they assemble themselves on kitchen tables from spilled salt. In all cases, the text is preternaturally clear, easily read and easily dispelled. The messages leave no trace.

Every message is identical:

[font=Garamond][b]Kin of Thunder,

As Alpha of the Tribe, I hold a claim of guardianship over you. I am accountable for your safety and well-being. I will hold you accountable for your own actions, good or ill. I will protect and aid you as my own abilities and responsibilities allow.

My primary duty, as it must be, is to the War. Therefore, the burden of communication is on you. Please contact me promptly if you intend to leave the city permanently, if you should encounter another of our Tribe, if you should encounter the Wyrm, if your services are requested by one not of our Tribe, if one not of our Tribe seeks to lay claim over you, if you are endangered, threatened or harmed in any way, and/or if you need help or protection.

If we have not yet met, call me immediately.

- Lukáš Wyrmbreaker
Alpha of the Unbroken Circle
Alpha of the Shadow Lords
(718) 555 8225[/b]

--

[Nessa, to Lukas]
Nessa has to totally redo her mascara just after Lukas's message appears on her mirror. After cursing him for a little while in Russian, she scowls, repairs the damage, and goes to pen a letter immediately.

This is slipped under his door, sealed as much as a letter can be, which isn't much, in the presence of garou and their sneaky-ass gifts.

--

Dear Lukas,
As per your request, I have information to impart.
I am currently residing with Cecil, who has been generous in inviting me to be his roommate, in Lakeview ((at this point, Nessa leaves the address where they are staying.)) There are no extra bedrooms free but in case of need, we have a couch at least and food and a place to rest and clean up for our tribe, and other emergency needs to our tribe or your packmates. Cecil is by the way a skilled and professional Cleaner of crime scenes and such. Very fast. I recommend his services.

Both of us are currently freelancing with Triarii's security department, the company which Hector Ortega is VP of. This is a Glasswalker organization but has other tribes workign with them, so he says.

I have encountered in Chicago Dasha, whom you must have met by now since both times I have met with her, she was in the Brotherhood. In addition, I have seen Edwin Morr back in town, who is a Shadowlord of former acquaintance; he was previously a member of a pack which held my guardianship. Is that the right words?

I have encountered Wyrm; Marcus, Charlie and Wayha asked Cecil and I to accompany them to a location which would need cleaning up afterwards. What we found was far worse than expected. There was something in umbra (said Wahya) which caused many humans to go insane and become raving frenzingly murderous. It was like.. insanity of Wyrm evil in their minds. I don't know how to describe it exactly. Marcus had tried to cuddle one of them, a little girl, into calmness but of course it wasn't possible. I tried to save her too but her mind was too far gone; she was completely insane and and I think would be so likely all her life. Cecil and I both fought and killed some of them but I don't know quantity. The crazy people were too many , we had to retreat due to overwhelming odds. We both healed well from our injuries. Cecil disposed of three bodies completely, there will be no trace of them to find. He also disposed of his van which was too bloodstained and had too many bullet holes, at great cost to himself.

Marcus, please note, saved my life there. While I did shoot some of the crazies away from him, beign that he is garou and ahroun, I doubt my actions truly saved his life in return. I have since thanked him sincerely, but do I not owe him a further debt? Wayha and Charlie also were very brave and without them there, we might not have been able to get away.

Also, I saw that those humans whichwould be allowed to live, won't have forgotten what happened, war forms or no. They, in this horrible wyrmish insanity performed great acts of horror, and I seriously doubt they will forget easily what was done to them AND what they did, horrible atrocities, from the two that I 'saw'. I spoke to Hector and received the location and names of the victims which survived . I am concerned about what will happen to them in the long run. If they don't remember what happened, then perhaps, they wil not be at risk again of being targeted by wyrm. Maybe they can go to have more normal lives.

Any whom I cannot fix, I will pass the names on to you. Hector says killing them outright at this point would be too suspicious.

I will be taking Cecil for distractions and evidence supression, and John Thornton, who as Vice, will have legal access and a legitimate reason to visit these people, given the misinformation so far that they have been drugged with some sort of bad drug.

Have you heard from my brother yet? I know he will return. I have complete faith in him.

Nessa.

[Lukas, to Nessa]
Lukas's correspondence is written with the ease of long practice, by hand, and with a certain old-world formalism.

--

Dear Agnessa,

Please forgive the brevity of my correspondence; I am presently pressed for time. Thank you for the updates on your situation and the status of our tribe in Chicago.

You are correct in assuming there may be transactions of gratitude and reparation in the matter of your and Cecil's brush with the Wyrm. However, it is somewhat more complex than you assume, and at any rate, my purview. Do not concern yourself overmuch.

I did have a few follow-up questions for you. First, which of the three Garou healed you and Cecil? Second, I would appreciate if you would continue to monitor the human survivors of that incident. If any show signs of remembering more than he or she should, please advise me of this at once.

I will arrange to meet with Cecil Smith myself soon, and was glad to hear two kin of Thunder are sharing living arrangements. As for your brother, I am afraid I have not heard from him recently, but a few weeks ago I thought I caught his scent in the city. Wherever he is, I am certain a Theurge as cunning, skillful and versatile as Fell-Prayer will not fall easily to our enemies. If and when his duties to the Tribe allow, he will return to you.

Regards,
Lukáš Wyrmbreaker

--

[Daniel, to Lukas]
Daniel Montague is shaving when the words begin to carve themselves into the mist fogged onto his large mirror. His eyebrows go up, and he simply stares, razor paused at his throat, reading the message as it unfurls in small, strangely precise letters across the glass. Never once does a bead of condensation scroll down and mar a letter; despite the imprecise medium, the message remains clear.

Finally, when it's all written down, Michael takes a deep breath, feeling slightly rattled at this manifestation of power within the heart of his home, and dips the razor into the water, shaking foam and hair off it. He frowns at his own reflection and raises the razor to his cheek one more time, where he begins to resolutely continue shaving, looking through the words until he's done.

Razor stowed, face washed, dressed now in black slacks and a long sleeved shirt, he takes out his cell phone and dials the number, moving to stand before his window and gaze out over the city. It begins to ring, and arms crossed, he waits for Lukas to answer.

[Lukas, to Daniel]
Daniel, however, receives Lukas's voicemail. The voice on the other end is unaccentedly American, well-modulated, the diction and delivery effortless but enunciated:

"Hi. You've reached Lukáš at (718) 555 8225. I'm unable to come to the phone. Please leave your name and phone number. Thank you."

An hour or so later, whether or not Daniel leaves a message, he receives a call back.

"Want to grab coffee?"

--

[Cecil, to Lukas]
*The garage echoes with a clank of metal as Cecil drops the bone saw he was cleaning as Lukas's message appears amidst the smeared gore on its blade. The mute picks it up and raises an eyebrow, whipping out his ever ready pen and paper with a cagey grin. The message is written down, and after cleaning the mess in the garage, he goes into the house to find that Nessa has received the same. Cecil would then fire off a text message to Lukas.*

Cecil Smith. Shadowlord kin. I look forward to meeting you at your earliest convenience. Good day.

[Lukas, to Cecil]
Cecil Smith receives a text message twenty minutes later:

Brotherhood, 8pm tonight.
 
Copyright Lukáš Wyrmbreaker 2010.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .